In the last few years, steam cleaners seem to have become really popular. Everywhere you look you see them advertised. They promise to make cleaning your home easier and will make your home cleaner and germ-free. Is it a lot of hype or do steam cleaners really work?
What is a Steam Cleaner
A steam cleaner is a cleaner that cleans your home using only steam. It can be either an upright style or a tank style with a hose. You add normal tap water to the steam cleaner and it heats it up so it is very hot. This then turns to steam which you use to clean either your floors, windows or other surfaces. You don’t need any detergents you are just loosening the stains and dirt by the application of the steam. The steam really gets into the surfaces to the embedded dirt so once you have steamed it you can just wipe it down.
Types of Steam Cleaner
There are generally 3 main types of steam cleaner.
- Carpet cleaner.
- Steam mop.
You can therefore either buy a steam cleaner for a specific task like cleaning your carpets, or a more versatile steam cleaner. Think about what you want it to do and where you are going to use it before you buy a new steam cleaner. If you are unsure, then check out Steam Insider where they cover reviews and comparisons of the different types of steam cleaner. They also give you general information and tips for using your new steam cleaner so it is a really useful site.
Where Can You Clean With a Steam Cleaner?
These are the general rules for what you can clean with which type of steam cleaner. Be aware that some models may differ slightly so always check individual models.
- Carpet cleaner. A carpet cleaner will clean one or more of carpet plus upholstery or hard floor.
- Steam mop. Steam mops clean hard floors exclusively.
- Multi-purpose. Multi-purpose cleaners are either floor mop style or tank style. Floor mop style multi-purpose cleaners clean hard floors and carpets. The tank style cleaners may clean a variety of your surfaces. Normally worktops and sinks and some also clean upholstery and garments whilst others will also clean hard floors.
Because each model can offer a variety of options, it is important to check the features before buying to avoid disappointment when the model doesn’t do what you want.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Steam Cleaner?
If you are used to cleaning your kitchen floor with a mop and bucket, you may find that a steam cleaner is more expensive than you want to pay. However, you will see that not only will you pay for the expensive outlay over time, but that a steam cleaner is more versatile than a mop and bucket.
- The steam is very hot so it dries a lot quicker than mopping a floor with water. Note, there is a chance of burning yourself if you are not careful.
- The steam from a steam cleaner sanitises the surfaces as it cleans. This means you don’t need to use chemicals to clean. This makes a good choice for those who want to live in a more environmentally friendly way, and also those with children and pets. This will also mean that you don’t have to spend money on expensive chemical cleaning products.
- Effective cleaning. As the steam is so hot, it kills bacteria and other nasties so your surfaces are more hygienic.
- Multiple surfaces. Having a steam cleaner that can clean multiple surfaces makes cleaning your house much quicker and easier.
- Your steam cleaner kills and controls allergens and dust mites which is great for those with allergies or asthma.
- If you have young children you can even clean and sanitise their toys by using a steam cleaner.
If you are thinking about buying a steam cleaner, make sure you know what you want to clean regularly before you buy. If you buy a carpet cleaner then decide you want to clean your surfaces too, you will have to buy another steam cleaner. Do your research first and buy the steam cleaner that will keep your whole house clean.